Kybella Pre-Treatment Instructions
Kybella should not be used for patients who are pregnant, nursing, trying to get pregnant, or those with severe allergies, and should not be used in areas of
active inflammation or infection (cysts, pimples, rash).
You should not get this procedure if you currently have or have a history of: nerve damage, facial paralysis, facial movement issues, difficulty swallowing, bleeding
problems, and/or prior or planned surgery, cosmetic treatments, or medical conditions on or near your face, neck, or chin. These conditions may be contraindications to receiving the treatment.
Notify your physician if you have had:
○ Major dental work (excluding routine cleanings) two weeks before/after
proposed injection procedure
○ Any recent procedure (cosmetic, surgery, laser, or other)
○ Any recent illness.
If you have facial hair, you should come with a clean shaven (neck) to the treatment.
Kybella Post-Treatment Instructions
After your Kybella injections, it is normal to have some swelling, pinpoint bleeding, and bruising underneath the chin. Due to the numbing creme applied for your procedure, you will still feel numb for another 1-2 hours after your procedure. Please be sure to follow our post-procedure instructions in order to minimize swelling, bruising and decrease downtime.
Ice, Ice, Ice
- Use a small bag of frozen peas in a sandwich bag or crushed ice to gently ice the area. No heavy ice bags. Ice for 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off. Continue the icing for 48 hours if possible
Minimize Strenuous Exercise
- We recommend no strenuous exercise for 48 hours in order to reduce swelling and bruising.
Do not manipulate or massage or rub or poke the area
- Do not massage or manipulate the treated area which will be quite swollen after Kybella injections. You may shower and wash your face with a gentle cleanser. Avoid facials, chemical peels, or laser treatments on the treated area for 14 days.
Use make-up and concealer to cover up bruises
- You can use makeup, moisturizers, and sunscreen the next day after your injections to cover up any bruising.
Take Arnica supplements
- Arnica supplements can quickly help reduce the appearance of bruises.
Sleep with head propped up on 2-3 pillows
For the first 2-3 days sleeping with your head propped up on 2-3 pillows can help minimize swelling under the chin area. Swelling should begin to improve after about 48 hours.
Eat pineapples and drink pineapple juice
- Pineapples have natural anti-inflammatory properties that help to minimize swelling after injections.
Do not evaluate the results of the treatment until weeks after swelling has gone down and fat cells have begun to melt
- The first few days after your treatment the treated area will be swollen, it will take weeks before the fat melt results start to be noticeable. We recommend not over-evaluating results until completing your course of treatment.
Take Tylenol for Pain
- It is normal to experience some pain and sensitivity in the area of the injection. Most patients find that Tylenol can help relieve this post-injection pain. Avoid NSAIDs such as Motrin and ibuprofen as these can make the swelling and bruising worse.