PRE AND POST LIP FILLER CARE
In order to reduce the amount of bruising and swelling at the injection site, Suddenly Slimmer’s Physician makes the following recommendations about how to prepare for fillers:
One Week Prior to Lip Injections
- Avoid blood-thinning over-the-counter medications such as aspirin, Motrin, ibuprofen, and Aleve.
- Avoid supplements, including St. John’s Wort, Gingko Biloba, primrose oil, garlic, ginseng, and Vitamin E.
2 Days Prior to Injections
- Avoid topical products such as Tretinoin (Retin-A), Retinol, Retinoids, Glycolic Acid, or any “anti-aging” products.
- Avoid waxing, bleaching, tweezing, or using hair removal cream on the area to be treated.
- Do start taking Arnica two days prior to the procedure. (This is not required, but it will help to lessen bruising.)
24 Hours Prior to Injections
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages 24 hours prior.
- If you have previously suffered from facial cold sores, there is a risk that the needle punctures could contribute to another eruption of cold sores. Please let your physician assistant know if you are prone.
- Do not use dermal fillers if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, are allergic to any ingredients, or suffer from neurological disorders. Please inform us if you have any questions about this prior to your treatment.
THE DAY OF TREATMENT
- Arrive at the office with a “clean lips”—without any lipstick and so on.
- In order to maximize your comfort during the procedure, a topical anesthetic will be applied.
WHAT TO DO AFTER FILLERS: THE FIRST HOUR
- Apply an ice pack and Arnica topically—Arnica + Bromelain tablets are both natural supplements to reduce bruising. These are available for purchase in our offices.
- Take acetaminophen to reduce pain as necessary.
- Avoid itching, massaging, or picking around the injection site. This is normal and generally disappears within a few hours to a few days. If these symptoms last more than 3 days, please contact our office.
HOW TO REDUCE SWELLING AFTER LIP INJECTIONS
6 to 10 Hours After Treatment
- Until the swelling and redness have resolved, avoid intense heat in the treated area(s). This includes sunbathing, tanning, saunas, hot tubs, or hot wax.
- To help alleviate swelling, we recommend an antihistamine during the day, such as Zyrtec or Claritin, and Benadryl at night.
- If there is a visible bump, you can massage the area. Depending on the areas treated and the product used, you may feel “firmness.” These areas will soften and settle with time (usually 1-2 weeks).
- Sunscreen and makeup can be applied, and you may use a gentle cleanser on the area.
HOW TO REDUCE BRUISING AFTER FILLERS
- Avoid drinking alcohol or partaking in strenuous exercise, as it may result in additional bruising.
- To help alleviate bruising, we recommend taking Arnica or Bromelain, eating fresh pineapple, and applying ice to the area.
IMPORTANT LIP FILLER AFTERCARE NOTES
PLEASE CONTACT US IMMEDIATELY IF YOU:
- Have fever and/or chills
- Have discolored blotches in areas not injected
- Have blanching of injected areas
- Notice the area appears red and/or hot to the touch
- Have severe or increasing pain
For more information on injectables and other cosmetic services we offer at Suddenly Slimmer Med Spa in Phoenix, contact us online or give us a call at (602) 952-8446.